In order to market Medicare Advantage and Part D products, CMS requires that agents be certified annually. The 2020 certification site is accessible now with a simple registration process.
2020 Courses required for certification include:
- AHIP Medicare Training, including Fraud, Waste & Abuse (FWA)
- Compliance Training
- Product Training
The AHIP Medicare Training is one of the courses required to be allowed to market and sell our 2019 plans whether you were certified for Medicare Advantage or Part D plans for 2019 or are just getting certified now. AHIP also includes Fraud, Waste & Abuse courses as part of their Medicare Advantage and Part D certification program.
AHIP Re-certification: If you took and passed the AHIP certification for 2019, the system will recognize you when you register, and you will be presented the AHIP re-certification course for 2020. The re-certification presents you with all 5 AHIP MA/Part D modules; however, you are only required to review parts 4 and 5. You are not required to review parts 1, 2, or 3. It is important to note that you will be tested on all 5 parts. The estimated time to complete the AHIP MA/Part D modules is approximately 4 hours. There is a 2 hour time limit on the AHIP MA/Part D final exam. Successful completion of the AHIP exam requires a score of 90% or better. You are allowed 3 attempts per registration to achieve a passing score on the final exam.
AHIP has already updated the site to the 2020 version of the certification and exam, and therefore no longer allows access to the 2019 version. The Anthem certification training site, which provides access to the certification discount, has been updated to reflect this change as well. If you have not taken the 2019 certification and chose to do so now, you will receive credit for both 2019 and 2020 for the AHIP Medicare Training. This also applies to the Compliance and Product Training modules. If you have not taken the 2019 Compliance and Product Training and chose to do so now, you will receive credit for both 2019 and 2020 upon successful completion.
AHIP Fraud, Waste & Abuse (FWA): This additional segment of the 2020 AHIP training program provides information on Nondiscrimination, Fraud, Waste & Abuse and General Compliance. Successful completion of each topic requires a score of 70% or better. The AHIP FWA testing is separate from the AHIP Medicare Advantage and Part D exam.
2020 Compliance Training modules are available now on the Anthem certification training site. Modules include Foundation/Basics, Risk Prevention, Sales Event Reporting and Tools for Compliant Selling. The estimated time to complete a compliance module is approximately 30 minutes, however this may vary. The estimated time to complete the compliance certification exam is 10-20 minutes per module. Required passing scores vary by module and will be noted in the course instructions.
2020 Product Training modules are accessible upon completion of the Compliance Training modules. You are required to complete the modules for the products you intend to sell. If you intend to sell MAPD plans, the Part D course must be completed along with the HMO and/or PPO training. For SNP plans, you must take the SNP and Part D modules, as well as the HMO or PPO module, depending on the type of SNP plan available in your area. The estimated time to complete a product module is approximately 30 minutes, however this may vary. The estimated time to complete the product certification is 10-20 minutes per module. All product modules require a score of 90% or better for certification.
To access the 2020 certification site, please see the instructions below. All new agents will need to log in as a first-time visitor and create a profile before starting the certification training. Existing agents can log in with their username and password from last year. There are links to assist you if you have forgotten either of them.
- Click the Medicare Advantage and Part D Prescription Drug and Product Certification link provided here.
- Logging in or Creating a Profile
- New Agents: Click the “First Time Visitors” button to create a new profile.
- Existing Agents: Log in with last year’s username and password. There are links to assist you if you have forgotten either of them.
- In the Access Code Field, key in External-SelfReg (with hyphen, exactly as shown) and click Submit. Agents creating a new profile should proceed to Step 4. Existing Agents logging in can skip to Step 7.
- New Agents will be taken to the Registration “Step 1 of 3” page where the following fields will need to be populated:
- Last Name (enter name as it appears on license)
- Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy format)
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number (SSN)
- The Registration “Step 2 of 3” page will display; complete all required fields (marked with a red asterisk) such as name, email, address:
- Click the “Find my NPN” button to retrieve your National Producer Number.
- Create a password and re-enter it to confirm.
- Enter other required fields, such as E-mail Address, Company Name, Phone Number, etc.
- Click the Register
- The Registration “Step 3 of 3” page will display confirming your registration and providing you with your username. Be sure to make a note of this. Click Continue.
- Existing Agents: your profile information will be displayed. Please review all fields and update if needed. Click Update Profile.
- Agents will be taken to the Anthem Medicare Certification Training Center for their AHIP, Compliance and Product Training.
- Review the Terms of Service Agreement presented on the training page. You must agree to the Terms of Service in order to proceed with the courses.
- Click on the Compliance training section. The first course in the Compliance training group will be AHIP Medicare Training. Click the AHIP course title.
- Click Yes when asked to confirm you want to leave the Training Center to go to the AHIP site.
- Your registration information will carry over from the Anthem Medicare Certification Training Center. Complete the AHIP profile registration/verification by entering your password information and agreeing to the site terms of service and privacy statement. Click Register (or Update Profile).
- The AHIP site will confirm your username on the next page. Click Continue to Purchase.
- You will be directed to a Purchase page. NOTE: You will be asked by AHIP for upfront payment at Anthem’s discounted rate of $125.00.
- Complete the Billing and Payment information. If the Billing information is the same as your Profile information, check the box “Copy profile information.”
- Click Place Order. You will receive an order confirmation. Click Go to my courses to begin.
- Proceed with the AHIP Medicare Training modules and exam, and then the Nondiscrimination, Fraud, Waste & Abuse, and General Compliance training.
- You can return to the Anthem Medicare Certification Training Center from the AHIP window by clicking the “Return to Anthem” link in the upper right corner of the AHIP training page.
- Launch remaining courses by opening each track and clicking on the course title. The course will launch right in your training page. Use the white forward or back arrows in the lower right corner of the module to navigate the course.
- You must complete each course module before you are able to access and complete its assessment.
- A green check mark will show on the My Certifications page next to each module or assessment when it has been successfully completed.
If you have any questions, please contact your lead or director. For any questions that arise once you access the certification site, simply click the Broker Support link under the Contact Us section to submit questions to the certification site email box.