How To Get Licensed in Florida
The first step to launching your business as an independent producer is obtaining your insurance license.
If you live in Florida, you will need to apply for a Resident Producer's License with the Florida Division of Insurance Agent and Agency Services (IAAS).
To sell Medicare plans with ABC Medicare Plans, you will need to obtain an Accident & Health license. The Life Insurance license is not required, but many agents complete their requirements since most of the pre-licensing study courses cover that material.
You also may need a Life License to enroll your clients in additional coverage beyond Medicare plans.
The first step to getting licensed is to sign up for a study course that will help you prepare for the exam.
We recommend using WebCE, an online study course.
1) Enrollment instructions for WebCE:
- Go to WebCE.com/abcmedicare and click "Course Catalog"
- Select "PreLicense Exam Prep"
- Choose your "State" and click "Continue".
- Select your license and click "Continue".
- Select your Exam Prep Package.
- Click "Add to Cart"
- Your ABC-discounted pricing is $49.95
- Enter your personal information
- Enter your payment information and click on "Place Order Now" to complete your purchase and begin studying.
Fingerprinting is a mandatory requirement for your Resident Health License in Florida. Per the IAAS website:
"You must be fingerprinted through our vendor, IdentoGO by Idemia, formerly MorphoTrust USA. You can register, find locations, and pay for fingerprinting by visiting www.L1enrollment.com/FLInsurance. The fingerprinting is $45.80, plus local Florida county sales tax.
After payment is made to 'Idemia', you must submit your fingerprints electronically via LiveScan. A list of LiveScan locations will be presented to you following registering with IdentoGO.
Once you have submitted your fingerprints to IdentoGO by Idemia, your fingerprints are submitted electronically to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The results of your fingerprint-based criminal history check are then submitted electronically to Florida Department of Financial Services. IdentoGO by Idemianever has access to your fingerprint-based criminal history.
If your first fingerprint submission is returned as illegible, IdentoGO by Idemia will need you to provide another LiveScan submission at one of their sites at no additional charge if it is submitted within 90 days of the first submission.
If both fingerprint results are illegible, you are NOT required to submit new fingerprints. The Bureau of Licensing will submit a name check request to the FBI. Please allow up to 45 days for processing. Once the results are received, we will continue our review of your application."
Fingerprinting Fee: $45.80
3) Apply for your Florida license
You must apply for a Florida insurance license before taking your licensing exam. Submit an online application at www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Division/Agents
License Application Fee $55
4) Schedule your exam
Upon approval, an email will be sent to you directing you to check your messages in your MyProfile account. Messages are where you may view your notifications from the department, such as an authorization for an examination. Follow the message's instructions to schedule the examination.
[Click here for the Exam Information page]
You may also review this IAAS Candidate Information Booklet that outlines the entire process.
Exam Cost: $44
3) Take your exam
Your exam will consist of multiple-choice questions and will be taken on a computer at the testing location.
After submitting your exam, your results will be provided before you leave the location.
If you pass and qualify for a license, you will be provided with certification that will be needed to apply for your actual license.
If you fail, you will be allowed to reschedule your next attempt. Information will be provided to you each time before you leave the facility.
- Once an application has been submitted, you may check your MyProfile account for the status of your application. Deficiencies will be listed under the pending license type.
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the department will send your approval by email. You may then go to your MyProfile account and click the “Wallet” and/or “Letter” hyperlink(s), under the “Print Licenses” section, to generate a copy of your license for printing.
- Note: If you are required to take an examination, you will not be able to print your license until the department has received a passing result from the testing vendor.