How To Get An Insurance License In Iowa

Resident License

The first step to launching your business as an independent producer is obtaining your insurance license.

If you live in Iowa, you will need to apply for a Resident Producer's License with the Iowa Insurance Division (IID).

To sell Medicare plans with ABC Medicare Plans, you will need to obtain an Accident & Health license. The Life Insurance license is not required, but many agents complete their requirements since most of the pre-licensing study courses cover that material.

You also may need a Life License to enroll your clients in additional coverage beyond Medicare plans.

Iowa does not require any pre-licensure classes or study programs however, we recommend using WebCE, an online study course.

1) Enrollment instructions for WebCE:  

  1. Go to and click "Course Catalog"
  2. Select "PreLicense Exam Prep"
  3. Choose your "State" and click "Continue".
  4. Select your license and click "Continue".
  5. Select your Exam Prep Package.
  6. Click "Add to Cart"
  7. Your ABC-discounted pricing is $49.95
  8. Enter your personal information
  9. Enter your payment information and click on "Place Order Now" to complete your purchase and begin studying.

Resident License Instructions

1. Make a reservation and pay examination fee. Make a reservation (online or by phone) with Pearson VUE for the examination. Exam Fee $49
2. Go to the test center. Go to the test center on the day of the examination, bringing along all required materials. (See page 7)
3. Apply for a license. After passing the examination, allow 3-4 business days for your notification to be uploaded to the NIPR (National Producer Insurance Registry) website. Then submit application and license fee online following links on License Fee $50

Please note that the application process must be completed within 90 days of passing the examination.

Non-Resident License
License Renewals